Vegan Energy Bites 🌱



Hi guys!
It’s finally August and there’s two days left for my BIRTHDAYYYYY!
So as I will be a bit older now I wanted to make some healthy changes towards my lifestyle in order to make me healthier.
Two posts ago I made some deliciously scrumptious VEGAN CUPCAKES. That was one of my first fully vegan yet pretty desserts as I already made a VEGAN MUG CAKE previously. I was so surprised at how easy those were to make and how “not guilty” I felt about eating them.

Veganism is just such a wonderful lifestyle and also a very easy one too!


For the past 2 weeks I have been going to a multi-sport sailing/water sport camp and as you may imagine you do lots of sports there and obviously you’ll be tired at the end of the day. As I was trying to be healthier this week I ate a big bowl of fruit every day (including fruit and dried fruits) I also decided to make these energy balls which are basically made of nuts, some oats and a tiny bit of chocolate to spice things up a little.


Sooooo lets get into the recipe!

Vegan Energy Balls:

¾ cup of roasted almonds
1 cup of walnuts
1/3 cup of raisins
40g of chocolate (preferably dark)
1/3 cup of oats
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon of water


⤵️


First of all get your food processor and add all of your ingredients into it except the cocoa powder, the chocolate, the oats and the water.

By the way, you’ll want your almonds roasted because they will give you a better and deeper flavour to your energy bites. If you can’t get hold of pre-roasted almonds you can just place your un-roasted ones on a baking tray and place them in the oven at 200ºC for about 5-10 minutes (until they are lightly roasted and harder to the touch. Be careful not to burn your almonds!!!)


When these ingredients have been pulsed for about 1-2 minutes, you’ll notice that the texture of the mixture is not fully smooth, so don’t try to pulse it more because we will be mixing the ingredients more afterwards. If you over beat/pulse the nut mixture you’ll end up with a strange sort of “almond butter”.

When the mixture looks crumbly, add in the chocolate (chopped up) and the cocoa powder and mix until you can’t see any more major lumps of chocolate any more.


I added a teaspoon of water to the recipe just if you see that your mixture is just way too powdery and not coming together easily. I just added about half a teaspoon in, and you should probably do that too, as I later on realized that the dough gets softer after you place it in the fridge. Also these balls should be able to hold together as a ball, instead of being distorted when you touch it.

When the dough is formed, take it out of your food processor’s bowl, follow this trick I made to not get your scales dirty.


First, place your dough in clean film and put the ball in the fridge for about 5 minutes, until it has cooled down due to being heated up by the food processor.

After, take the dough out of the fridge and take your measuring scales. Again, get your clean film roll and cover your measuring scales minus the part where you press to reset the scale and to see the numbers.


Then simply measure out equal dough amounts (my balls weighed between 15 and 20g) and place the balls in an airtight container.
I placed my container in the fridge then, sow hen I want to eat them they would be chilled and perfect to eat.


These balls are perfect to enjoy in the morning, along with a bowl of fruit or porridge…

I usually have a bowl with one apple and one nectarine and then alongside I eat 1 or 2 of these energy balls to fuel me up for the day!


I hope you liked this recipe and maybe just try it out with your friends or family!!

Lucia x

Comments